Re: crsctl check resource on Rac

From: Martin Klier <usn_at_usn-it.de>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2014 19:38:49 +0100

Hi,

did you check:

$ORA_CRS_HOME/log/hostname/alerthostname.log
$ORA_CRS_HOME/log/hostname/crs/crsd.log
$ORA_CRS_HOME/log/hostname/cssd/ocssd.log (this one is a bit talkative)

If there's a failure in checking something, they should point you to the responsible agent's log file in the same directory structure. The agents usually will log very clearly what happened when a check failed (or at least you can see when it succeeded).

Using crsctl commands on ora.* resources works, but in fact is is (just) not supported. Two years ago, I had a discussion with some Oracle guys from the GI team about this fact, and they said, "it's simply because crsctl can change ora.* services", and they don't want us to do so. To make life for support easier, the whole command is not supported. For operational tasks it's not necessary either, and if MOS says "ok", you can use it and complain if it does not work. If you do on your own, nobody will crucify you, as long as you don't complain about it doing not what you hoped for.

Hope this helps
Martin Klier

Am 13.03.2014 16:55, schrieb mvshelton_at_chartermi.net:
> I had a disk group on a node in a RAC cluster go in the intermediate
> state which prevented srvctl from starting the database because there
> was a dependency on the diskgroup. To resolve the issue I ran a crsctl
> check resource ora.DBFS_DG.dg which resolved the issue and then the
> database was able to start just fine through srvctl.

Usn's IT Blog for Oracle and Linux
http://www.usn-it.de

performing databases
Your reliability. Our concern.