Re: Real life implementation of 7 year data retention requirement

From: Fergal Taheny <ftaheny_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2014 21:09:49 +0000

Hi,

From the original post

"We are asked to implement a database backup policy so that the state of database can be resurrected to any given point in time up to past 7 years"

I think the words "database backup policy" should be replaced with "data retention policy". I don't believe backups are the way to meet this requirement. I think a data warehouse is the way to go.

And for the requirement to be able to present your data as it was at any historical point in time there is a great data model and methodology called data vault which is designed to do just that.

See here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_Vault_Modeling http://learndatavault.com/

Regards,
Fergal

--
Fergal Taheny
Pentec IT Limited

If you have received this email in error please notify us immediately.  It
is possible for data transmitted by email to be deliberately or
accidentally corrupted or intercepted. For this reason, where the
communication is by email, Pentec IT does not accept any responsibility for
any breach of confidence which may arise through the use of this medium.
Pentec IT Limited is Registered in Ireland: No 443280 with a registered
office at 2 Knightsbrook Court, Dublin Road, Trim, Co. Meath. Company
Directors: Fergal Taheny, Caitriona Ni Riain.