Re: perl and dba

From: Norman Dunbar <oracle_at_dunbar-it.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2013 11:59:10 +0000

On 08/02/13 18:09, Jared Still wrote:

> There is no more robust scripting lanquage for working with Oracle.
> No other language has a database interface that comes close to
> DBI/DBD::Oracle.

What he said!

I agree that DBI:DBD is great. I've even used it occasionally. My problem is I cannot get my head around Perl itself. I can write it, once, and when I come to fix it, I'm up that famous creek without a canoe, never mind a paddle!

I used Perl quite a lot for Nagios monitoring stuff. But I still suffer from it I'm afraid.

As far as I remember, when you install 10g or higher, there's a little Per installation done quietly for you. Not sure if thia applies to Windows too, but I'm sure it does on Unix.

Try searching through $ORACLE_HOME for a file named "perl" or "perl*" to see what you have. I'm aways from my servers so I can't check at the moment.

Oh, and Jared's book - Perl for Oracle DBAs is quite useful. (But maybe needs updating?)

Cheers,
Norm.

--
Norman Dunbar