Re: perl and dba

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2013 10:09:11 -0800

On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 1:36 PM, pier paolo Bruno <pbrunoster_at_gmail.com>wrote:
> I can read and write simple perl script for admin but i don't define myself
> a perl programmer .
> A question for you .
> For searching a DBA in 2013 do you think perl is something usefull nowdays
> ?

There is no more robust scripting lanquage for working with Oracle. No other language has a database interface that comes close to DBI/DBD::Oracle.

> I use it sometimes on windows machine .. but on unix I usually prefer shell
> scripting .. so I'd like to know your opinion . the reason for the question
> are 2 :

Shell is fine for relatively simple Oracle stuff, that is, where work is done in the database.
I mainly use shell for collecting parameters at runtime and using them to drive SQL scripts.

If any complex work is required that cannot easily be satisfied with PL/SQL, Perl is my tool of choice.

> - think if it something I have to study more or if it is better to study
> something else
> - for recruiting

Well, if you're building skills with a goal to catch recruiters eyes, be sure to get recent Oracle certifications.

Obviously as dba/sysadmin i exclude dotnet or java skill as requirement ( i
> know java quite well becouse i come from java develpment but i don't use it
> for my work and so i don't think it is something important for a dba (it is
> another work)) .

I think knowing Java is an excellent skill for a DBA. How better to show developers how to do something properly when you know they are doing it wrong?

Perl is cross platform.

At Pythian all of our monitoring scripts are in Perl. They run on Windows, Linux and several flavors of unix- all the same scripts.
(except those of course that are focused on platform unique features)

Jared Still
Certifiable Oracle DBA and Part Time Perl Evangelist Oracle Blog: http://jkstill.blogspot.com Home Page: http://jaredstill.com