Re: Semi-OT: Recommendation for laptop/workstation replacment to run VMs ?

From: Kellyn Pot'vin <kellyn.potvin_at_ymail.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2013 11:42:33 -0800 (PST)

The OS is one the SSD be default with the Zenbook.  I have done all the benchmark tests and find that it runs no faster on the SSD than on normal disk.  It's graphic and CPU intensive apps such as web browsers that seem to benefit from the SSD... :)  Any swap files you create, those will run faster if on the SSD, too... :)
Kellyn Pot'Vin
Senior Technical Consultant
Enkitec
DBAKevlar.com
RMOUG Director of Training Days 2013

~Tombez sept fois, se relever huit!

 From: "Christopher.Taylor2_at_parallon.net" <Christopher.Taylor2_at_parallon.net> To: fuzzy.graybeard_at_gmail.com; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Sent: Wednesday, January 2, 2013 11:08 AM Subject: RE: Semi-OT: Recommendation for laptop/workstation replacment to run VMs ?

Right - the question stems from the thought:

"If I put the OS on the SSD [the most expensive drive with finite write cycles], how do I separate the OS specific "stuff" such as the "Libraries" and the temp file generation off the OS partition?"

I need to read up on that - basically I understand that when separating the OS/apps onto the SSD you need to fix the OS so that it isn't writing a lot of temporary/short term stuff to that drive.

Chris