Re: backup files location?

From: David Fitzjarrell <oratune_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 18:41:10 -0700 (PDT)

You'll need to allocate either a disk or tape channel for RMAN to use which is what the error message is trying to tell you.  Using the allocate channel statement you can do this: allocate channel fra_d1 type disk;

as an example.  Once you have at least one channel allocated try the backup command again.

David Fitzjarrell

 From: Ram Raman <veeeraman_at_gmail.com> To: "Radoulov, Dimitre" <cichomitiko_at_gmail.com> Cc: ORACLE-L <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Sent: Wednesday, March 28, 2012 2:33 PM
Subject: Re: backup files location?

Thanks Niall and Dimitre for replying.
I could not find a command for list backupiece (without knowing the names of pieces). I did a full 'list backup' to see the backup pieces it displays at the end - but no luck there. It says all the files are in 'FLASH' and shows the deleted ones as expired correctly. I tried Dimitre's suggestion and got this:

*

RMAN> backup recovery area;

Starting backup at 28-MAR-12

specification does not match any archive log in the recovery catalog

specification does not match any datafile copy in the repository

RMAN-03002: failure of backup command at 03/28/2012 17:26:19

RMAN-06747: at least 1 channel of tertiary storage must be allocated to execute this command
*

I tried to check this command in another database where things are good, but I got the same response. Not sure what this command does.

I am inclined to think that this is a bug. I need to work on that more.