Re: vmware, and grid control

From: Jay Weinshenker <jweinshe_at_concentric.net>
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2012 09:56:34 -0600

Oracle fully supports their products when virtualized under VMware. Please see MOS note 249212.1

Basically, they will support you until they believe the issue is with VMware at which point they will tell you to contact VMware. Please note VMware has a dedicated group to working just Oracle on VMware issues, so when virtualizing Oracle on VMware, you can actually get BETTER support than running Oracle on native hardware.

Please check out some of the blog articles I've written on this:

http://weinshenker.net/blog/2010/05/10/oracle-support-on-vmware/
http://weinshenker.net/blog/2011/04/06/support-virtualizing-oracle-vmware/
http://weinshenker.net/blog/2011/04/09/oracle-databases-require-license/

Having said all that, I have Grid Control 11g and 12c both running fine under VMware, monitoring a variety of Oracle DBs on various OSs, all running under VMware.

  Jay Weinshenker
  jweinshe_at_concentric.net