Re: VMotion as failover solution

From: Paul Drake <bdbafh_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 13:55:46 -0500

One unexpected "bonus" in this area is - if "Advanced" was licensed for ESX/ESXi v4.x ... that can be converted to "Enterprise" for ESXi v5.x. The downside is if the host in which ESXi is installed has 2 sockets but say 96 GB of physical memory, the "Enterprise" license will only cover 32 GB vRAM per socket/processor license.
So one may gain features but have less memory to support the existing VMs out of a "free" upgrade from "v4.x Advanced" to "v5.x Enterprise". This could end up resulting in an additional "Enterprise" license being required per pair of sockets in order to support the 96 GB of memory in that host.
"Its a win win!" </sarcasm>

That's one way of dealing with ever-increasing processor core counts.

http://www.completestreets.org/faq.html
http://safety.fhwa.dot.gov/ped_bike/docs/pamanual.pdf