RE: VMotion as failover solution

From: Allen, Brandon <Brandon.Allen_at_OneNeck.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 16:39:19 +0000

I think that's almost right except that vMotion itself doesn't provide automatic failover - you need their HA product specifically for that and from my understanding they consider vMotion and HA to be two separate things although they may be bundled together depending on what package you buy. The diagram at the link below shows that vMotion is included with "vSphere Standard", but you have to buy "vSphere Enterprise" to get their "High Availability" and "Fault Tolerance" products: http://www.vmware.com/products/vsphere/mid-size-and-enterprise-business/buy.html

Here is another link that might help clarify the differences:

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1864497

You'd probably be best speaking with one of their sales people (and have them include a tech resource too if possible) to get the details for your specific situation.

Regards,
Brandon