Re: Noarchivelog 11.2.0.1 Restart

From: Ed Long <rdhm99a_at_prodigy.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 10:55:16 -0800 (PST)

A followup.
Startup mount     works fine.
restore database works fine.
list incarnation    works fine and says RESET SCN = 1948174. recover database until SCN 1948174.
     => command returns RMAN-03002 failure of recover command.
     => & RMAN-20208 UNTIL CHANGE is before RESETLOGS change.
I can't find an SCN that doesn't get this message.

Edward Long

From: Ed Long <rdhm99a_at_prodigy.net>
Subject: Noarchivelog 11.2.0.1 Restart
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Date: Friday, January 21, 2011, 1:08 PM

Hi everyone and happy Friday.
I have a benchmark system that I can't get to restart and need your advice. Please understand that I've spent half a day on the RMAN user guide and reference without success. Here is the sequence that has worked up to now.

1: Create LEVEL 0 backup using RMAN.
2: Run Real Application Test test.
3: recycle system to mount mode.
3: Restore backup.
4: Recover to SCN. (No real logs to apply).
5: start open.

None of the recover until options appear to work. I have an export of the application database so I can if necessary drop the database and start over again. However, I want to understand this recovery scenario so if it happens in the future on a system I don't have an export of I understand my options. All of my options end up with the system table space off line. I don't see a way to get it back online. RMAN 11003 appears to be the root of the problem although the version I'm seeing is garbled. Edward Long