Re: Named user license for Oracle

From: Rich Jesse <rjoralist2_at_society.servebeer.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 08:55:51 -0600 (CST)

Hey Amir,

> I am trying to understand how the named user licensing in Oracle
> database works and would like to know if I have the right understanding.
> Based on what I know, named user licenses are based on the number of
> concurrent user connections that are allowed to connect to a database.

Nope -- what you're describing is (WAS) called "concurrent" licensing, which Oracle threw out with Oracle7.

"Named user" is exactly that -- 1 license for every *person* accessing the DB. It doesn't matter if they all have the same username or the same PC. So for a web-app on the Internet, your Named User license would include approximately the world population.

For a private web app, it's the number of unique people accessing the app (and, by extension, accessing the Oracle DB). So if Fred occasionally does the same job as Sally that requires access to the web app, it's two Named User licenses.

This should be Googleable as well. One hit is at http://www.orafaq.com/wiki/Oracle_Licensing#Named_User_Licensing

Enjoy!
Rich