"Long" hostnames, Oracle 9+10 and HP-UX

From: Uwe Küchler <uwe_at_kuechler.org>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2010 18:20:06 +0100 (CET)

Dear fellows,

at my current site we got a bunch of new DB servers running under HP-UX. The servers are configured to support host names up to 64 characters and some of them already exceed the former 8 character limit.

After starting up an Oracle 10gR2 instance, I found in the logs and traces that the host name was truncated to 8 characters. The same can be observed in v$instance or sys_context('userenv','host').

So far I found only one document describing this on MOS but no further pointers to potential problems or bugs.
https://supporthtml.oracle.com/ep/faces/secure/km/DocumentDisplay.jspx?id=957443.1

Do you have any experiences with this?
Would you recommend to switch back the hostnames to 8 characters?

Regards,
Uwe

--

http://oraculix.wordpress.com