Re: Oracle 24x7 shops and Patches-Upgrades.

From: Alex Gorbachev <gorbyx_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 22:48:45 -0500

> You *might* just possibly be able to upgrade your own in-house written
> software without downtime. You *cannot* maintain Oracle software without
> downtime - 11g promises the actual shipping of 'rolling upgrades' just about
> 1/2 a decade after Larry first mentioned them. Until then (and it would be a
> brave person who relied on that particular feature in it's first release)
> then you cannot achieve 24*7 without either

Well, what 11g is *promising* (or was it Tom Kite's *prediction*?) is online evolution of APPLICATION schema. This doesn't mean that we will be able to do the same online evolution for sys schema. In fact, I can bet that it won't make patchset installation any more online than now.

--
Best regards,
Alex Gorbachev

The Pythian Group