Is this Needed?

From: Freeman, Donald <dofreeman_at_state.pa.us>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 10:40:58 -0400

I just received a notice from our technical team leader that we were going to schedule a 'refresh' on our transactional database in order to improve performance. They are going to truncate and reimport the production schema. Is this technique useful for a 9i database? I'm thinking that in earlier versions of Oracle it might have been helpful but on the other hand I don't see any discussion of this on any board that I am monitoring. Is this a waste of time?

Don Freeman
Database Administrator 1
Bureau of Information Technology
Pennsylvania Department of Health