Re: rm RULE based optimizer != GOOD IDEA

From: Martic Zoran <zoran_martic_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 08:49:26 -0700 (PDT)

I am not even sure after Oracle built the monster database with the monster CBO optimizer that they have the stuff to do the proper automated tests.

I used to learn that the test team (QA team) should be the best. I still have never seen such a company where the tests covered everything, and do not believe Oracle is going to spend more money that way then developing crazy database features except they are awaken from the "unbreakable" dream.

The phylosophy is to provide a lot of new features that only developers understand.
I am not even sure that in such big companies they can manage the quality of code. They are just firefighters for the biggest customers.

All these issues are becoming very big even for Oracle.
We were always laughing about Microsoft GPF and security bugs and so on, but it looks Oracle database in the last year or two are not to far.

They needed to drop RBO because could not cover the CBO code properly.
It looks that the CBO is so complex that our current databases are just Oracle's test environment. It will be nice to see the increase in the number of TAR's in the last few years and to which database areas they are related.

I am currently trying to explain to our customer DBA's how system statistics are good to collect, but it looks very hard when they can search and find so many bugs and issues related to them.
Internet is sometimes making things hard when you can find a lot of true/false stories.
Also because we need to test every fact Oracle is saying as fact becoming the bottleneck in developing IT systems.

It is looking ugly when you see that Oracle DBA's are frightened of new Oracle features or CBO.

Regards,
Zoran Martic

Do You Yahoo!?