Re: Side effect of replacing a table with a view

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 10:03:12 +0100

Given the early versions of Oracle, there are likely to be some queries where the
optimizer instantiates the view before
performing a join. The first example that springs to mind is the outer join:

Try something like this:

    select {cols}
    from

        driver_table    d,
        table_a            a
    where
        a.primary_key(+) = d.colX

    ;

Then replace table_a with the view equivalent. I think you'll find in the execution plan that the path stops using the primary key on table_a and switches to a full scan with VIEW instantiation appearing as the parent operation.

Regards

Jonathan Lewis

http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/faq/ind_faq.html The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/seminar.html Public Appearances - schedule updated April 5th 2005