RAC & RAW Question

From: Stephen Andert <andert_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 14:40:09 -0700

Hi all,=20

I am working on getting RAC set up. It is sr mgmt's idea and I'm not sure that it will provide what they think it will.

I have a question about growing with RAW.

I read in a book that RAW partitions cannot be extended. After discussing this with my friendly neighborhood SysAdmin team, they have told me that growing a RAW partition/device is not a problem. They don't even think I need to bring down the database.

My questions are:

Q1. Is it possible that the author was speaking in general terms and that in my environment, we have an OS, etc that allows this (AIX, EMC)? Q2. Is it that the OS can do it, but the database cannot recognize it? (I thought a alter database datafile ... RESIZE would work)

Q3. Can anyone point me towards a best practices with RAW white paper?

Q4. Does anyone have any pointers towards converting a cooked database to RAW? It is large enough that export/import will take more time that I think we will get approved for. We are theorizing that if we "reshape" the database to tablespaces with single files that match the sizes of the RAW devices we will be getting, that an RMAN alternate node restore with file rename will work. Thoughts or comments on this?

Thanks
Stephen