RE: anyone use java EJBs?

From: Ellis R. Miller <outlawdba_at_comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 22:55:17 -0500

I would strongly recommend checking out JDO (Java Data Objects) as a potential alternative. I converted a couple EJB enthusiasts and their e-commerce shop has never been the same.

I slung some Java in an EJB WebLogic environment where I was also the part-time Oracle DBA...so I was hated on 2 fronts instead of the regular old boring 1.

Container Managed Persistence is rational BMP (Bean Managed) be crazy & is for Java cowboys that don't have good sense as Mammaw used to say. Nevertheless, did some initial testing of JDO back when the spec was being developed and was very impressed...simpler, faster, better. Unfortunately, like the early & latter days of SQLJ, which never caught on so I couldn't sell my used books, JDO has remained somewhat obscure although still supported by a core group of rabid fans:

http://java.sun.com/products/jdo/index.jsp

http://jdocentral.com/

JDO is "better" (simpler, faster, and easier to model) and I took that from some TV commercial for some pharmaceutical I haven't tried yet.

Has anyone heard the new "Dear Burger King" radio spot/commercial? I love those commercials because they are so very wrong. I want to wake up & DBA with the Burger King.

That's what I'm talkin' 'bout Willis.