RE: Rman Parallelism param

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 11:09:48 -0600

Tom

   I was told that often a single disk won't stream data fast enough to keep a high-speed tape drive busy. When the buffer empties, then the tape must stop, which slows the overall throughput considerably. This was the original intent of this feature.

   We use RMAN to back up to disk, so I can't vouch for the tape business. On our old system we didn't have enough disk area to hold the entire backup. At least in 8.1.6 there wasn't a command to split the backup to different areas. I ran two parallel processes, writing to separate disks and this nicely split the size nearly in half.

   I think whether parallel backup will speed up your backup will depend on your disk layout. If you can write to more than one storage system, then it should increase your speed. If you are just writing to a single storage system, then parallelism might even slow down your throughput because the disk heads might have to move around more to satisfy both processes. Ultimately you'll need to test it. Your mileage may vary.

Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com