Re: Rman Parallelism param

From: Mladen Gogala <mladen_at_wangtrading.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 12:12:02 -0500

It turns all of your disks into RAID-5. See www.barf.com for more. No, just kidding. When you set a parallelism degree, RMAN will write in two parallel streams, using two processes. That will normally result in at least two backup pieces. Whether that will improve things, depends on your disk controller and its ability to do things in parallel. If you have a simple EIDE controller, with one of those tiny 100+ GB drives, then doing things in parallel will actually slow you down.