Re: Strange Problem

From: Arghadeep Chatterjee <dba_at_magma.co.in>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 11:52:06 +0530

Hi Daniel,
DO you remember how you solved it?
Deep

  Deep,
  I can't comment on specifics, but it reminds me of a similar situation. Periodically, a 3rd party app would 'lose inserts'. Turns out that the application was not handling errors, so would insert record 1 into table 1 then insert record 2 into table 2 (but this insert would result in an error that was not handled by the application) and a commit was issued. So the first insert was committed and the second was 'lost'.

  Turns out a memory corruption was causing the application to send bad data, Oracle would reject it.

  Good luck.

  Daniel

  Arghadeep Chatterjee wrote:

       Hi All,I am facing a strange problem the details of which is given belowHp-UX 11.11,Oracle 9.2.0.1.0Users arnd 213Mem 4GBProc 2Type of application Custom ERP using Oracle Forms and Reports 6iNow the problemfrom one of the forms an Oracle DB procedure is called say xthis procedure creates a curson say ynow it goes on updating three tables say row 1,2,3 .The strange thing iswhile working at some times this application inserts the three rows for thesay first table and compleletely misses to update the same value to anothertable say row 2 and 3 while it updates row 1.I am unable to find a logical reason forthis as commit is issued at the end of the procedure and at certain times it justworks as it is intended to work.Any pointers anyone.ThanksDeep