Re: Hot Backups -- to Disk OR to tape direct

From: <chris_at_thedunscombes.f2s.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 09:03:15 +0000

I'm not sure that there is a definate preferred option, a lot depends on your site and any restrictions you have. I've done scripted hot backups to tape using alter tablespace .... and they worked fine. We used HP's OmniBack to do the actual bacups and control tape mounts etc. We didn't have the luxury of spare disk space to even think about disk to disk. Also if you have a specific time to get tapes of site for disaster recovery then disk to disk followed by disk to tape will almost certainly take longer. However disk to disk will be more reliable and provides a much quicker local recovery option than disk to tape. But another downside is the performance impact on your disk sub-system of writing 80 GB to disk and then reading it all again to put it to tape, all this is in addition to the I/O for straight disk to tape.

I know this isn't a simple answer but I think it goes to show that you have to look at each situation on a case by case basis and you can't generalise.

HTH   Chris

Quoting Hemant K Chitale <hkchital_at_singnet.com.sg>:

> Conducting a survey here ...
>
> What is the preferred method of Hot Backups
> {where you do not have a SAN with SnapClones) and
> the database is large [say more than 80GB,
> against the DLT drive of 40GB tapes]
>
> 1. Scripted Hot Backup to Tape, spanning tapes in
> an AutoLoader configuration [the switching of tapes
> has to be scripted into the Hot Backup]
>
> 2. Scripted Hot Backup to Disk, followed by a subsequent
> backup to tape
> a. With a compressed image of the DB on Disk
> b. To an uncompressed image on Disk
>
> Assume : No Media Manager Libraries available for RMAN
> so backups have to be scripted with ALTER TABLESPACE
> BEGIN ... END ...
> Hemant K Chitale
> http://hkchital.tripod.com

Chris Dunscombe