Re: Post IOUG impressions

From: Scott Canaan <srcdco_at_ritvax.rit.edu>
Date: Wed, 07 May 2003 05:51:54 -0800

    Actually, they did give out CD's. If you stayed for the entire closing ceremony and were one of the last 50 - 100 people networking (eating candy) out in the hall, you got a CD. I got one. All the presentations and papers are on it, by day.

    This was the first IOUG that I have attended. I was impressed by the technical information that was made available. I have already used some of what I learned, along with passing it along to my co-workers. I was disappointed in everything else. I've been to other conferences (OAUG, BSR) that include breakfast and have sit-down lunches, not box lunches. Walking around looking for a table that holds 2 or 3 people isn't networking. Sitting at a table with 5 or 6 other people is.

Joe Testa wrote:

> No CD this year? my 2 cents worth, this was the 1st IOUG i missed
> since '97(ems class took priority) but I must say, i used the CD quite
> often from previous conferences. Seems like a small amount of money
> to save. What happened to the concept of no more paper, seems that
> would have made more sense.
>
> Joe
>

> Babette Turner-Underwood wrote:
>
>> I attended many wonderful sessions at IOUG
>> including Dan's ORA-1555 demo and I must point out
>> that he gave full credit for the idea to Connor.
>> He did tell us the original included alcohol but
>> was hesitatant to use it at our venue.
>>
>> I want to remind everyone to go online and
>> fill in their IOUG Conference evaluation and
>> let them know how you really feel about not
>> getting a CD ... or at least a single ZIP file to
>> download :-)
>>
>> I guess if I had the choice of hand-outs or CDs
>> I certainly would have picked the hand-outs so
>> they helped in the decision to attend a session
>> once or twice :-)
>>
>> I am really looking forward to seeing all of
>> you again next year in Toronto!!!
>>
>> Babette

Scott Canaan (srcdco_at_rit.edu)
(585) 475-7886
"Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it." - Tom Lehrer.

Author: Scott Canaan
  INET: srcdco_at_ritvax.rit.edu