RE: Moving to UK - what are Oracle contracts like?

From: Grant Allen <Grant_at_towersoft.com.au>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 17:13:19 -0800

John.Hallas_at_vodafone.co.uk wrote:
> >Grant,
> >I agree with Lewis, things are tight here. Very hard to find work and you
> >have to compete hard on rate to have a chance.
> >You have to work as a ltd company - does not cost much to set up , or use
> an
> >umbrella company.
> >I would recommend joing the Professional Contractors Group
> >(http://www.pcgroup.org.uk/) if you are considering contracting.
> >The insurance is worthwhile but the discussion forums (general, ir35
> >matters, technical, commercial, accounting) etc can be very useful.
> >
> >Conversely I am thinking about Australia (Sydney) long-term - why are
> you
> >leaving there and coming to sunny England?
> >
> >John

Thanks to everyone for the feedback - very useful. John, Sydney's pretty quiet right now - I've got friends on both sides; contractors and recruiters - and they are all feeling the pinch.

As it stands, it looks like I'll be getting a permanent position wearing my "jack-of-all-dbs, master-of-none" hat in the M4 corridor - but all of the contracting info that's been provided will certainly help when I take the plunge.

Hope to see some of you over there - you can spot me by the IV drip filled with coffee :-)

Ciao
Fuzzy
:-)

"Woo Hoo!" - H. Simpson

The contents of this post are my opinions only

          If swallowed seek medical advice

(Apologies for the excess signature)
This email message (and attachments) may contain information confidential to TOWER Software. If you are not the intended recipient you cannot use, distribute or copy the message or message attachments. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by return email immediately and delete all copies of the message and attachments. Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message and attachments that do not relate to the official business of TOWER Software, are not given or endorsed by it.

Author: Grant Allen
  INET: Grant_at_towersoft.com.au