Re: database consistency tools ?

From: <Jared.Still_at_radisys.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 15:23:42 -0700

Maya,

I'm not a Sybase DBA, but I play one on TV.

Just kidding, I took the Sybase DBA and replication courses last year.

I was a little surprised at the emphasis placed on dbcc. When asked about the Oracle equivalent, my reply was 'We don't have that problem'.

Seriously, the type of error you're talking about correcting is really rather rare.

I've personally only experienced it a few times. It's almost always been an index
block in my case, and that is corrected by dropping and recreating the index.

Don't worry about it unless you get ORA-1578 errors.

Jared

                    "Maya Kenner"

                    <maya.kenner_at_t       To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
<ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                    rema.com>            cc:

                    Sent by:             Subject:     database consistency tools ?

                    root_at_fatcity.c

                    om

                    08/30/01 03:45

                    AM

                    Please respond

                    to ORACLE-L

Hello,

Excuse me for this maybe dummy question, I am new at Oracle and coming from Sybase world, I subscribed to this list 1 week ago. If my question is answered somewhere in archived place, please feel free to direct me to this place.

I am looking for Oracle built-in tools to check/verify consistency of the db/tables/indexes etc...

Sybase provides a set of tools to verify/check/repair the database/tables/indexes logical and physical consistency called dbcc . This will allow to check allocation structures , page and object linkage
(sybase page is equivalent to an oracle block and an object is a
table,index,view...).

To say that in Oracle words, the tools will verify that the oracle block(s)/extent(s) which are allocated to an object is/are effectively allocated to this object and that the different blocks/extents(s) are correctly linked together.

Does this make sense to you ?

Thanks, Maya

  INET: Jared.Still_at_radisys.com