RE: ODBC Connections Bad?

From: MacGregor, Ian A. <ian_at_SLAC.Stanford.EDU>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 17:34:41 -0700

There is a problem with multithreaded OCI programs connecting to an 8.1 database via an Oracle ODBC driver. A long running query can block all other access to Oracle from the same application server. We have some Visual Basic programs running on an IIS webserver which have run into this. When it happens the webserver needs to be rebooted. The bug database says it will be fixed in Oracle 9.1

ODBC drivers are one of the most fragile pieces of software ever released.

Ian MacGregor
Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
ian_at_slac.stanford.edu

Author: Walter K <alden14004_at_yahoo.com>
Date:       5/10/2001 11:06 AM

I have been told in the past that ODBC connections to the database are slow and very resource intensive, but unfortunately this was not explained. Fortunately, I haven't really had to deal with ODBC connections much.

However, in my new job, several users are using MS Access as their query tool and it looks like the number is growing.

So, are ODBC connections to the database really slow and a resource problem? If so, why? Also, is there anything special in regards to the database that I should be watching or tuning outside of the norm just because I have a bunch of Access users hitting the database?

Thanks again for the assistance!
-w

Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Auctions - buy the things you want at great prices http://auctions.yahoo.com/

Author: Walter K
  INET: alden14004_at_yahoo.com

  INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com

Author: MacGregor, Ian A.
  INET: ian_at_SLAC.Stanford.EDU

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri May 11 2001 - 19:34:41 CDT