Parallel Servers

From: Kaing, Leng M <LKaing_at_VENTNDS1.TELECOM.COM.AU>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 1996 01:22:42 -0500

Greetings,

On our ALPHA OpenVMS 6.1 with Oracle 7.1.3, I've got some VMS processes showing as ORA_<sid>_Pnnn. Are these parallel processes? I was about to kill them from the o/s until I realised that the database is running in Parallel mode. Phew! Too close for comfort! Even though this database is running in parallel, only one instance is connected to it.

DBA Guide tells about Dnnn and Snnn but not Pnnn. What are these? I've got no Parallel Server manuals at my disposal. Would anyone be kind enough to explain this whole concept of parallel servers to me? Pros & Cons? Your experiences with them?

TIA,
Leng.

Leng Kaing
DBA - Directory Technology P/L
Tel: +61-3-9892-9081 Fax: +61-3-9892-9344 Email: lkaing_at_ventnds1.telecom.com.au
WWW : http://www.vut.edu.au/~leng/oracle/voug.html Received on Tue Feb 06 1996 - 01:34:57 CST