Re: Real-world Oracle disks

From: SAWMTIM.SME.ORG <SAWMTIM_at_SUN1000.SME.ORG>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 1995 15:55:35 -0500

--Boundary-12960-0-0

Mark,

The approach of MANY devices of 500 mb to 1 gig is probably best because of the ability to spread things out optimally and also provides flexability for locating files. This idea runs head on into the cost factor of buying fewer, larger disks, giving more bytes per dollar. (Isn't this always the case?) We are currently using 500 mg drives for archiving and redo logs, and 2 gig and 2.5 gig devices for data files and software (that's another problem, a 1 gig device can't hold two versions of Oracle software anymore!). These devices have very high transfer rates and so far seem able to handle all that data stuffed onto one device. (We have 14 devices hooked up to a Sun 1000 running under Solaris 2.3). I don't know if this is really helping you to find the answer. I guess you just take your best shot and make the compromises where necessary based on experience. Good Luck!

Tim Sawmiller
Society of Manufacturing Engineers
sawmtim_at_sme.org

--Boundary-12960-0-0

From:"Mark Judman " <owner-oracle-l_at_CCVM.SUNYSB.EDU> To: Multiple,recipients,of,list,ORACLE-L,ORACLE-L_at_CCVM.sunysb.edu Subject: Real-world Oracle disks

I'm an Oracle newbie buying an IBM RS/6000 or expanding a Sun to run Oracle. At the Oracle DBA training they recommended lots of small drives (500 Mb. or 1 Gb.) for the best i/o through table/index separation. Makes sense. But try to do that and it starts looking a little complicated.

We've got a quote for a RS/6000 with 4 internal 2 Gb. drives and 4 external 4.5 Gb. drives. What I was wondering was:

  1. What sort of configurations are people (satisfied DBA's) using in the real-world?
  2. Does the above sound reasonable for Oracle?

Yeah, I know, you can't answer question #2 without knowing the size of the databases, how many tables will typically be joined in our applications, and how heavily they're gonna be used.

Also, are people typically/commonly using striping to not even have to worry about explicitly placing tables and indexes -- sheer Hell for control-freaks, I suppose.

Thanks,

Mark Judman (Mark_Judman_at_colpal.com)
Colgate-Palmolive Co.

--Boundary-12960-0-0--