Re: Real-world Oracle disks

From: Nick Price <nick_at_INNET.BE>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 1995 15:56:26 -0500

According to Mark Judman:

> Also, are people typically/commonly using striping to not
> even have to worry about explicitly placing tables and
> indexes -- sheer Hell for control-freaks, I suppose.

Mark

In my experience, it is wise to use stiping *and* be concerned about the placement of the tablespaces WRT their datafiles within each stripe.

I am just about to set up a very similar system to yours:

  2x RS6000 J30's
  7135 RAID (30GB)
  9333 Serial Disk
  HACMP
  ORACLE 7.1 Although I do not have enough information on the 7135 to have defined exactly how I want to proceed. The ideal arrangement would be to set up multiple stripes on the 7135 given to different areas of the DB. i.e tables, indexes. The redo's and rollback's may live out on the 9333's.

In general, it is a very good idea to balance the oracle read ahead and write behind:

        db_file_multiblock_read_count
        db_file_simultaneous_writes

Hope this helps

Nick
--

+    Nick Price                                           Avenue Coghen 169    +