ORACLE DATA BROWSER INSTALLATION

From: EKEZUE, F. C. (F <FCEK_at_CHEVRON.COM>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 1995 01:45:45 PST

From: EKEZUE, F. C. (FIDELIS) -FCEK
To: OPEN ADDRESSING SERVI-OPENADDR
Subject: ORACLE DATA BROWSER INSTALLATION Date: 1995-03-14 09:00

Hi,
Does anyone out there have any experience installing ORACLE DATA BROWSER? I am trying to install ORACLE Data Browser on our LAN without much success. The installation on the UNIX workstation (ORACLE SERVER) is perfectly okay and I was able to install the Browser on a stand-alone PC running Windows 3.1. We are running SQL*NET version 2.0 and the transport name is Novell LAN Workplace for DOS.
My problem is how to install this product on the LAN file server.

After the installation I received the following error message when I tried to run the Browser:

      BRW-15387: LOGIN failed
      ORA-12545: TNS: name lookup failure.

I copied VSL.INI to the network window directory; and made sure the entries on WIN.INI and ORACLE.INI were correct. When I tried to run again, I received the following message:

      BRW-15387: Login Failed
      ORA-12203: TNS: unable to connect to destination

I have to copy the latest TNSNAMES.ORA to the ORAWIN\NETWORK\ADMIN directory on the LAN server. After this operations, I checked out my UNIX servers to make sure they are LISTENING. One was, so I started the second one. And I ran the Browser Again from the LAN Server and it was successful. A little while after this, I ran the BROWSER again and received the same error message as above ORA-12203 and since then I have not be able to run the Browser.

Please forward any tip or assistance to the address below or via e-mail.

Thanks

Fidelis Ekezue
Chevron Nigeria Limited
6001 Bollinger Canyon Road

San Ramon, CA 94583
fcek_at_chevron.com Received on Tue Mar 14 1995 - 05:02:28 CST