Re: What is a database?

From: <Erwin.Smout_at_ikan.be>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 03:56:41 -0800 (PST)

On Thursday, February 27, 2014 12:27:20 PM UTC+1, Jan Hidders wrote:

> >> That could be good, depending on what you mean by "ordered". Or
>
> >> "structured", but that seems less ambiguous.
>

> > One answer, really, but in two levels, given the non-computer
>
> > consideration, which I think is good to maintain. It is normal human
>
> > logic, and whatever we do in IT should be within that, not outside that.
>

> > Qualifier. I do not believe in the concept of private definitions.
>

> Funny that. I don't believe in public definitions. All a definition is
>
> and can do is establish how a certain person or group cares to assign a
>
> meaning to a word or phrase, so in that sense it is always private. It
>
> tells you nothing about the real world, except what the definer means
>
> with a certain word.
>

> -- Jan Hidders

And I personally do not believe in protected definitions.

Everyone should be free to redefine any term according to personal preference.

The ensuing confusion is actually a blessing for the economy.

(Sorry, just couldn't resist.) Received on Thu Feb 27 2014 - 12:56:41 CET

Original text of this message