Re: RDBMSs timeline poster

From: Erwin <e.smout_at_myonline.be>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 23:40:26 -0700 (PDT)

Op maandag 17 september 2012 23:40:37 UTC+2 schreef Jan Hidders het volgende:
> Op maandag 17 september 2012 17:11:08 UTC+2 schreef Erwin het volgende:
>
> > Op dinsdag 11 september 2012 10:48:15 UTC+2 schreef Jan Hidders het volgende:
>

> > > Maybe interesting for the crowd here. Nice poster made by Hasso Plattner institute with timeline of several RDBMSs, sorry, SQL DBMSs, :-)

> > > http://www.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/fileadmin/hpi/FG_Naumann/projekte/RDBMSGenealogy/RDBMS_Genealogy_V3_print.pdf

> > > -- Jan Hidders
>

> > No mention of BS12, no mention of Dataphor, no mention of Rel, no mention of Muldis D, inhabitants of the one and only true relationland will be pleased to see that these guys know what goes on in their field of "expertise".
>

> Not mentioning something on the poster does not necessarily imply they don't know about it. I would actually have been rather surprised had they been included.

Tsssssssssss. When an academic of the Felix Naumann level produces an overview of something, then he doesn't strive for that overview to be complete, of course. Quite understandable.

Or wait. Hey. I got it. The purpose was intentionally to produce a historical overview of all the _failed_ attempts at implementing the relational model.

Or the purpose was a bit more mundane. Just a tool to be used in the masturbation jobs that academia serves when prostituting itself to the industry in order to get funding in return. Give them something nice and neat to show that has their name and brand on it. From _that_ perspective, omitting certain things certainly becomes totally understandable. Guaranteed absence of return means guaranteed absence of effort. The truly academic spirit.

> About the creek and river: as far as I can tell they have no further meaning other then perhaps a vague allusion to a lost paradise.

"Lost". yeah. I think I'd better stop it here.