Re: SQL deferred constraints (a bit O/T, I know)

From: Erwin <e.smout_at_myonline.be>
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2011 08:28:49 -0700 (PDT)

On 1 apr, 16:48, -CELKO- <jcelko..._at_earthlink.net> wrote:
> >> So now, after more that 12 hours, I have my answer.   My gift to the Internet is to share it here. <<
>
> Thank you for saving me the work :)  I would not have rattled it off
> in 5 minutes.
>
> It is worth mentioning that a constraint can be initially deffered or
> active, then explictiy set the other way. But the goal is that at the
> end of session, all constraints must be true. Years ago, Jim Melton
> had a paper on some ambigous situations which I cannot remember.

The count of sloppy use of language in these few words is TWO.

ONE : it is not "a constraint that can be initially deferred", it is instead "_THE (EXECUTION OF THE) CHECKING OF_ a constraint that can be initially deferred".

TWO : the goal is NOT that "at the end of the session, all constraints must be _TRUE_", the goal is that at the end of the session, all constraints must be _SATISFIED_.

Nonetheless, thanks for reminding me why I like Chris Date so much. Unlike you, he takes the time it takes to be _ACCURATE_ in what he writes down. Also unlike you, he doesn't bother to make people read sentences about what the subjects are on which "he cannot remember". Received on Sat Apr 02 2011 - 17:28:49 CEST

Original text of this message