Re: sigh

From: Roy Hann <specially_at_processed.almost.meat>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2010 21:39:37 +0000 (UTC)

paul c wrote:

> I presume there is some manual intervention by people running
> other servers, maybe this is why more and more ISP's and other
> organizations are dropping their NNTP support.

I heard that ISPs were dropping NNTP support as an easy alternative to policing binary groups for porn and other unsuitable or illicit material.

They are afraid of being prosecuted for allowing minors to get access to porn, and for supporting illegal file sharing.

As only a tiny number of people have ever heard of Usenet, still less prefer it, how could killing it off not seem like a good idea? HTTP is some much less convenient for sharing porn; who would?

--
Roy