Re: sigh

From: paul c <anonymous_at_not-for-mail.invalid>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2010 01:12:29 +0000 (UTC)

On 01/11/2010 2:47 PM, Erwin wrote:
> On 1 nov, 03:02, Bob Badour<bbad..._at_pei.sympatico.ca> wrote:
>> It's been 11 days since we got anything but spam from china in this
>> newsgroup.
>
> Do the other google groups get that spam too ? If yes, why is it that
> it doesn't really seem to annoy the others enough to do something
> about it ? (Could it be that they do not suffer from the problem of
> complete lack of -what they consider- meaningful discussion, and that
> that makes a significant difference ?) And if no, how come this is
> so, and how do they avoid it ?

It seems that not all usenet servers propagate the spam on the google server, eg., the bellsouth one I've been using since the local ISP dropped usenet doesn't (looks to me that you are posting to a google server). I presume there is some manual intervention by people running other servers, maybe this is why more and more ISP's and other organizations are dropping their NNTP support.

Heh, I guess twenty years ago the NNTP users were an elite as well as a minority of the population, now they are merely a minority. Received on Wed Nov 03 2010 - 02:12:29 CET

Original text of this message