Re: boolean datatype ... wtf?

From: Erwin <e.smout_at_myonline.be>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2010 02:44:08 -0700 (PDT)

On 5 okt, 00:53, Hugo Kornelis <h..._at_perFact.REMOVETHIS.info.INVALID> wrote:
> On Sat, 02 Oct 2010 10:42:50 -0300, Bob Badour wrote:
>
> >What makes either of those choices logical?
>
> Hi Bob,
>
> My first observation is that these three possibilities do not come from
> a single domain. Male and female are values from the domain of genders;
> unknown is not. So it would be wrong to define a domain with three
> values to represent the three possibilities.
>
> But if unknown is not in the same domain as male and female, then what
> is it?

From domain boolean ?

Even Brian acknowledged that NULLs are (what he called) "indicators", or iow, boolean flags, or yet iow, 2VL truth values. They say whether data is really present yes or no. That sounds very boolean to me.

Now guess what. Would the fact that I think it is better to eliminate booleans from a logical database design by vertical decomposition, have anything to do with the fact that I also think it is better to eliminate nulls from a logical database design by vertical decomposition ?

> That's the logic of the first choice.

I think you missed the point about 'logic'. Received on Wed Oct 06 2010 - 11:44:08 CEST

Original text of this message