Re: boolean datatype ... wtf?

From: Erwin <e.smout_at_myonline.be>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2010 02:13:56 -0700 (PDT)

On 6 okt, 09:02, Hugo Kornelis <h..._at_perFact.REMOVETHIS.info.INVALID> wrote:
> Hi Keith,
>
> Interesting world you're living in, where users get to change the
> application code.

It must be understood that the "user" is the _DBMS_ user.

That is, the person that you presumably call the "end user" ONLY in the case where that end user has direct interaction with the DBMS, through a query console or so.

In the other cases, the DBMS user is the application developer writing the code of the programs that will be accessing the database.

This notion is very clearly explained in the introductory chapters of "Introduction to Database Systems". 8th edition, but I suspect this is one of those pieces of text in the book that have been present ever since edition 1.

> So thanks for making my point - you have given me yet another good
> reason to endorse the inclusion of a boolean data type in databases.

You are conflating "inclusion of booleans in databases (/database designs)" with "inclusion of booleans in data manipulation languages that access/interact with databases".

I thought the initial subject was the former. You are debating the latter. Received on Wed Oct 06 2010 - 11:13:56 CEST

Original text of this message