Re: What´s the algorithm that compresses a 20 digit big int, into 8 bytes ?

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac>
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2010 17:24:43 GMT

Rafael Anschau wrote:
> On Apr 9, 12:44 pm, paul c <toledobythe..._at_oohay.ac> wrote:
>

>> Open up your calculator and look at the result of 2 to the power of 63.
>>   I get 9,223,372,036,854,775,808.  Only nineteen digits.

> Yes, it proves pure binary conversion won´t do
> it(2^64=18446744073709551616)
> the 18% Sampo talked about.
>
> But it doesn´t prove(demonstrates truth from a fixed set of given
> axioms)
> that no other algorithms will ever do it(although it serves as strong
> evidence for that).
>
> But that´s the mathematician in me going off topic, I might debate
> that
> on alt.math or else.
>
> Thanks anyway,
>
> Rafael

I'd say that comment is a disservice to real mathematicians who could make it formal in an eyeblink but probably wouldn't bother. There is a book, "Voltaire's Bastards - The dictatorship of Reason in the West" which helps to explain why, even for those who value length above all else. Good luck finding somebody to debate this with, a new age usenet group might be better for that. Received on Fri Apr 09 2010 - 19:24:43 CEST

Original text of this message