Re: teaching relational basics to people, questions

From: vldm10 <vldm10_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 12:24:45 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 15, 1:37 pm, "Mr. Scott" <do_not_re..._at_noone.com> wrote:
> "paul c" <toledobythe..._at_oohay.ac> wrote in message

> > Mr. Scott wrote:
> >> "paul c" <toledobythe..._at_oohay.ac> wrote in message

> >> There is no table R.  The only place in the database to record assertions
> >> that there is a particular room is in CTRS, but one cannot assert that
> >> there is a particular room without also asserting that there is a
> >> particular teacher, that there is a particular student, and that said
> >> teacher is teaching a particular course to said student in that room.

> >> Yes, it is answerable.  The fact that a particular teacher is teaching a
> >> particular student a particular course in a particular room implies the
> >> fact that that particular course is held in that particular room.

> >> I think you're assuming that it is possible for there to be courses in
> >> rooms even if there aren't any students or teachers, but that hasn't been
> >> established, and in fact since there is no place in the database for such
> >> assertions, there cannot be courses in rooms without students or
> >> teachers. The queries that are answerable are therefore not limited to
> >> just those that involve all four attributes.
>
> >> If there were a place in the database for such assertions, such as a
> >> table
>
> >> CR {COURSE,ROOM}
>
> >> Then what is in the database would consist of the logical sum of all
> >> courses in rooms without students or teachers and all courses in rooms
> >> with students and teachers.  The query "Is course <COURSE> held in room
> >> <ROOM>?" would involve both CR and CTRS, unless there is an inclusion
> >> dependency from CTRS[COURSE,ROOM] to CR[COURSE,ROOM], in which case the
> >> query could be answered without involving CTRS.

> >> Table names are significant.  There can be more than one table with the
> >> same set of columns.  The closest logical analog to a table name is a
> >> predicate symbol.  Predicate symbols are significant.
>
> >> P(X) may be true for a given X even if Q(X) is false for the same X.
>
> > Perhaps the most remarkably bald of these assertions is that a 'particular
> > ROOM' has 'independent' 'existence' when a 'particular' STUDENT or TEACHER
> > or COURSE doesn't.  I've never even liked the word 'exists'... 'forall' is
> > okay but 'is present' would help keep one's eye on the ball.  To avoid the
> > chronic mystical persuasion, basically all we really need to be concerned
> > with is the presence of symbols.
>
> The idea that symbols can be 'present' is very strange.  For each table in a
> database there is a collection of assertions that can be represented by a
> row in the table.  Some of those assertions may be true, and some may be
> false, but the symbols from which those assertions are composed are always
> 'present' regardless of whether the assertions are true or not.  They are
> part of the language.  The non-logical symbols of a typical first-order
> language consists of a set of predicate symbols of various arities, a set of
> [...]

I would appreciate it if you could give a definition of abstract and concrete objects. Any definition, or rough description of abstract objects can clarify these important things in your message which was interesting.
As far as I know the following questions don’t have good answers: What abstract objects are; how we know that they exist? What is the distinction between concrete and abstract objects – what is the criterion of distinction?

The notation of objects is also questionable. As far as I know this notation was first introduced by G. Frege.

If you use the terms abstract and concrete objects in the context of a certain theory it might be interesting to know which framework you used. I get the impression that these themes are becoming very important in modern mathematics and some other sciences.

Vladimir Odrljin Received on Mon Dec 21 2009 - 21:24:45 CET

Original text of this message