Re: What would be a truly relational operating system ?

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2009 00:41:51 GMT

Anne & Lynn Wheeler wrote:
> it has been claimed that the pre-occupation with future system (going to
> completely replacing 360/370) allowed the 370 product pipeline to go
> dray. with the demise of the future system effort, there was mad rush to
> get products back into the 370 hardware and software pipeline. However,
> the lack of 370 products is claimed to have contributed to allowing
> clone processors (like amdahl's) to gain a foothold in the market.

One of his long-time associates told me that a big part of the early purpose was to build the then big expensive processors and peripherals much cheaper by eliminating most micro-code then selling them for 10% less than IBM which was a significant savings for customers and still a nice mark-up for Amdahl. Received on Sat Nov 14 2009 - 01:41:51 CET

Original text of this message