Re: What would be a truly relational operating system ?

From: Anne & Lynn Wheeler <lynn_at_garlic.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 19:48:26 -0500

paul c <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac> writes:
> Thanks, very interesting. Regarding C&S, I don't know that that has
> anything to do with database logic per se, rather it's for
> serialization in general. Regarding VM/CMS I used to know a guy who
> did a lot of work on the sql/ds optimizer. I remember him scoffing in
> the early 1990's as various improvements to the DB2 optimizer came
> out: "ha, sql/ds had that five years ago!"

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009p.html#82 What would be a truly relational operating system ?

i handled some amount of the tech transfer from sjr (system/r) to endicott for sql/ds

one of the people listed as being at jan92 meeting in ellison's conference room ... mentioned here
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/95.html#13

claimed to have handled the tech transfer from endicott back to STL for (mainframe) DB2. There are two different DB2s ... the original mainframe DB2 and the one running on other platforms. this is thread discussing some recent news item about the non-mainframe DB2 http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009p.html#43 From The Annals of Release No Sfotware Before Its Time http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009p.html#46 From The Annals of Release No Sfotware Before Its Time

the non-mainframe DB2 started out as RDBMS for OS2 ... it took quite a bit of work to get much further than that. http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009p.html#35 DB2 announces technology that trumps Oracle RAC and Exadata

--
40+yrs virtualization experience (since Jan68), online at home since Mar1970