Re: hamsterdb Transactional Storage (thanks to all of you)

From: Clifford Heath <no.spam_at_please.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 18:02:54 +1000

compdb_at_hotmail.com wrote:
> On Sep 25, 8:46 pm, noyb <no.s..._at_please.net> wrote:

>> com..._at_hotmail.com wrote:
>>> On the other hand Gray never understood the relational model.
>> That's interesting. Can you point me to some evidence of that?

> I might have come to this conclusion because of "A Call to Arms".

Thanks, I hadn't read that. I found his big black book (with Reuter) hugely valuable; it's one of my most-prized books.

In "A Call to Arms", he seems to be mostly describing the evolving global data scenario, not necessarily approving it. The only thing I found surprising was his cheerfulness about the whole mess, and the only thing he approved of that I thought was a really bad idea was running user code inside the database, where it can hide inside a query that's now impossible to optimize. But I guess that was his employer's idea, not his...

If we had an interface with proper nested relation (rel-valued attrs) support, a lot of the push to drive code into the DBMS would vanish, and that'd be wonderful. But for that, a new query language has to emerge. This group ought to be a good place to discuss it, but...

--
Clifford Heath, Data Constellation, http://dataconstellation.com
Agile Information Management and Design