Re: Object-oriented thinking in SQL context?

From: Brian Selzer <brian_at_selzer-software.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 02:53:15 -0400

"Marshall" <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com> wrote in message news:bbb20443-36a6-427c-b670-f5f1692ba266_at_c19g2000prh.googlegroups.com...
> On Jun 12, 9:46 pm, "Brian Selzer" <br..._at_selzer-software.com> wrote:
> >
> > How many people with good ideas were driven away?
>
> How many with good ideas would have been driven
> away if Bob hadn't been there? We have no data
> either way.
>

> > How many keep silent rather than risk one of his tirades?
>
> Same problem.
>

> > There is a cost to permitting his tirades to continue unopposed.
>
> Unopposed? What could you *possibly* be referring to?!
> Bob is *constantly* opposed.
>
> If you want to complain to me about Bob, you are
> complaining to the wrong guy.

I am not complaining to you about Bob. There is no point in complaining about Bob because he isn't going to change. It really irks me, however, when people defend his boorish behavior. That was the impetus for my post, but as far as the substance goes, I am pointing out the fallacy in your statement, "Bob's tirades really do decrease the noise." Perhaps it is just contrariness on my part, but I just can't let such blatant deception pass--and it is deception, even if it is not your intent to deceive, for in that case you are yourself deceived. I bring up Bob's typical reaction to anyone who dares to express an opposing point of view not as a whining complaint about his behavior, but as evidence that it is not just noise that is decreased, since not every opposing point of view is noise. I bring up the cost that his tirades incur in response to the apparent implication in your statement that the effect of Bob's tirades is somehow a good thing, when in fact there is a trade-off. If I turn the volume down on my record player (yes, I still have one), then I can no longer hear the cracks and pops caused by scratches on the records, but I also have a hard time hearing the music.