Re: ID field as logical address

From: Brian Selzer <brian_at_selzer-software.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 09:31:37 -0400

"Walter Mitty" <wamitty_at_verizon.net> wrote in message news:QJlYl.2020$u86.503_at_nwrddc01.gnilink.net...

> "Brian Selzer" <brian_at_selzer-software.com> wrote in message
>> represents the sentence,
>>
>> "Each bin 14 on shelf 5 of row 20 of warehouse 3 is now bin 18 on shelf 3
>> of row 22 of warehouse 3."
>>
> Shouldn't that be
>
>> "Each bin 14 on shelf 5 of row 20 of warehouse 3 will henceforth be bin
>> 18 on shelf 3 of row 22 of warehouse 3."
>>

> ?

I don't think so. In tense logic, henceforth is a operator with an intended meaning that is something like, "at all future times," and it is possible that the bin could be moved again at some point in the future. I am uncomfortable with treating assertions about what /will/ be as factual, so I don't think they belong in either the database or a transition. I think I understand your concern, though. The sentence, using tense operators, would be something like,

"Each bin 14 that has since the time of the previous transition and until the time of this transition been on shelf 5 of row 20 of warehouse 3 is at the time of this transition bin 18 on shelf 3 of row 22 of warehouse 3." To address one of Kevin's prior concerns, "the time of this transition" could be taken to mean, "the time that this transition should have been submitted," provided transitions are submitted in the same order in which the changes they are supposed to represent occurred. Received on Fri Jun 12 2009 - 15:31:37 CEST

Original text of this message