Re: Object-oriented thinking in SQL context?

From: Bernard Peek <bap_at_shrdlu.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2009 22:58:26 +0100

In message <epAXl.50$P5.2_at_nwrddc02.gnilink.net>, Walter Mitty <wamitty_at_verizon.net> writes

>"Gene Wirchenko" <genew_at_ocis.net> wrote in message
>> Tegiri Nenashi <TegiriNenashi_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>>>Refactoring?
>>
>> Since the two areas are different, why strain at correspondences?
>>
>> Normalisation is during design. Refactoring is after the fact.
>>

>Actually, normalization is a bottom-up approach, and is done after the fact.
>After the fact of coming up with an unnormalized model. If you do modeling
>*correctly*, your model will be normalized as soon as you build it, and you
>don't have to go through the rigmarole of converting the schema into another
>equivalent schema that acheives a higher normal form, and repeating that
>exercise.
>
>Having said that, I never learned how to model data *correctly*, so I ended
>up normalizing during design time, just as you say.

Some years back I was handling support for a CASE tool that handled normalisation. The users didn't want a tool that took them through the various stages, they assumed that the first time they committed a structure to the system it would already be in TNF - which was as far as they were interested in.

--
Bernard Peek