Re: Object-oriented thinking in SQL context?

From: Walter Mitty <wamitty_at_verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2009 21:23:22 GMT

"Gene Wirchenko" <genew_at_ocis.net> wrote in message news:b0it25h2ai2ag1qghti23d0mq6evsbetnj_at_4ax.com...
> Tegiri Nenashi <TegiriNenashi_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On Jun 9, 11:27 am, "Walter Mitty" <wami..._at_verizon.net> wrote:
>>> Data Normalization. I don't know what this corresponds to in OO design.
>>
>>Refactoring?
>
> Since the two areas are different, why strain at correspondences?
>
> Normalisation is during design. Refactoring is after the fact.

Actually, normalization is a bottom-up approach, and is done after the fact. After the fact of coming up with an unnormalized model. If you do modeling *correctly*, your model will be normalized as soon as you build it, and you don't have to go through the rigmarole of converting the schema into another equivalent schema that acheives a higher normal form, and repeating that exercise.

Having said that, I never learned how to model data *correctly*, so I ended up normalizing during design time, just as you say. Received on Tue Jun 09 2009 - 23:23:22 CEST

Original text of this message