Re: ID field as logical address

From: <>
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2009 17:21:19 -0700 (PDT)

On May 29, 5:54 am, "Walter Mitty" <> wrote:
> In another thread, I suggested that prefixing every tuple with an
> auto-generated field (column) called ID amounted to reference by location
> rather than reference by content.  ...

Yes, this is quite a natural question to wonder. If table columns are labeled by column names, why rows can't be labeled by some sort of IDs. If table header can be viewed as a hidden row, then why can't one introduce a hidden ID column? A while ago there was a discussion thread here on c.d.t where someone (I believe "VC") convincingly argued that there are fundamental obstacles for such a construction. The discussion was in the RL context, and my latest understanding of the issue is documented on page 11 of Received on Sun Jun 07 2009 - 02:21:19 CEST

Original text of this message