Re: Relation subset operators

From: Marshall <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2009 16:09:14 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 6, 2:19 pm, vadim..._at_gmail.com wrote:

> I'm still not sure if there are shorter versions. Marshall (who is
> apparently in stealth mode) used to work on a program that generates
> all valid RL expressions, and this looks like a problem fitted for
> such a tool. The other curiosity is how many different RL expressions
> one can generate with inversions and complements alone. For example,
> the identities

Yes, these are both things my program can handle. The theoretical aspects are fairly far along; what is killing me is the practical aspects.
Namely, the number of possible expressions in even mildly complex algebras is mega gigantic, and in algebras with operators that are both commutative and associative, simply noting that two complex terms of the same size are syntactically equivalent is excruciatingly slow. I have recently purchased a much more powerful machine but I'm not sure how much this will help; the big wins have all been the results of greater understanding of the nature of Universal Algebra.

I still have good ideas left for how to do better, and I believe a complete equational theory of Vadim's algebra is mechanically achievable.

Marshall Received on Sun Jun 07 2009 - 01:09:14 CEST

Original text of this message