Re: storing survey answers of different data types

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 11:41:55 -0300

lawpoop wrote:

> On Apr 22, 7:26 am, lawpoop <lawp..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>On Apr 22, 7:16 am, Roy Hann <specia..._at_processed.almost.meat> wrote:
>>
>>>There is considerable debate over which is the best title to start with.
>>>If you consider yourself a willing beginner with very limited time,
>>>then I might venture *far* into left-field and suggest a long
>>>out-of-print book by Fabian Pascal: SQL and Relational Basics
>>>(M&T Books, ISBN 1-55851-063-X). It is concise and accurate (especially
>>>for its time). I suggest it just to get you in the right
>>>frame of mind quickly, and to innoculate you against the crap that is
>>>readily and widely available.
>>
>>Thanks to you and Bob, I just placed an order for it. :
>
> Actually, I skimmed to quickly. I ordered Practical Issues in Database
> Management. But Amazon lists used copies of _SQL..._ starting at $5, I
> might throw that in also.

_SQL and Relational Basics_ is a good one to have. As far as I can tell, it is the only real introductory text to the subject ever written. If you can find a copy in good condition, grab it.

Date's _Introduction..._ is a comprehensive text.

Of the other texts that are any good at all, they are all written for college level courses or are too heavily directed at a single implementation. They generally ignore the herd of elephants in the parlour.

Date's various _Writings..._ books take one on safari to examine the herd up close.

On the physical side of things, I also highly recommend Dennis Shasha's _Performance Tuning..._ books. Received on Wed Apr 22 2009 - 16:41:55 CEST

Original text of this message