Re: storing survey answers of different data types

From: Roy Hann <specially_at_processed.almost.meat>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 09:50:41 -0500

lawpoop wrote:

> On Apr 22, 7:26 am, lawpoop <> wrote:
>> On Apr 22, 7:16 am, Roy Hann <specia..._at_processed.almost.meat> wrote:
>> > There is considerable debate over which is the best title to start with.
>> > If you consider yourself a willing beginner with very limited time,
>> > then I might venture *far* into left-field and suggest a long
>> > out-of-print book by Fabian Pascal: SQL and Relational Basics
>> > (M&T Books, ISBN 1-55851-063-X).  It is concise and accurate (especially
>> > for its time).  I suggest it just to get you in the right
>> > frame of mind quickly, and to innoculate you against the crap that is
>> > readily and widely available.
>> Thanks to you and Bob, I just placed an order for it. :
> Actually, I skimmed to quickly. I ordered Practical Issues in Database
> Management. But Amazon lists used copies of _SQL..._ starting at $5, I
> might throw that in also.

Practical Issues is a fine book, but I think you should hold off from reading it first. For one thing, it is almost a collection of essays rather than a systematic introduction. I have some colleagues who plunged in unprepared and were badly disappointed not to be spoon-fed.

(Also, is it just me, or does he make excessively hard work out of explaining 5NF in this book? Yes--I have the errata.)